Wednesday, April 8

These boots are made for walking

On our recent spring break adventures I was reading a book by a British author that is now living in the US. He quotes a statistic that has become more real to me with more time spent in Europe. The average American walks less than 75 miles a year- about 1.4 miles a week, barely 350 yards a day. Since moving to Germany it has become normal to see people walking everywhere we go. The mentality of walking has gotten into my head and I'm starting to think a little more European about it. If it's within walking distance, people walk it. One thing I noticed right away is that I haven't seen very many people running. I enjoy a good run, but on the whole I think people around here and most of Europe get their exercise in by walking to the grocery store or to work or to their neighbors house in the next town. For the most part I believe it has to do with pace of life and that we don't have enough time in the states to walk to stores or to friends houses. I am enjoying picking up on this European trait. Since Spring Break started I have intentionally exercised zero times, but I've walked more than 3-5 miles a day. I don't know about you, but I would much rather stay healthy walking to the grocery store than to fit in another 45 minute slot of running into my day. This is an challenge to all of you who live close enough to  a store or a coffee shop that you frequent. Try once or twice a week to walk instead of driving in your car. It's not only good for you, but good for the environment! Don't worry mom and dad, I'm not become a tree hugger =) 

No comments: